Business Manager Christopher Erikson
President Thomas J. Cleary
There have been significant changes and adjustments taking place on an hourly basis as Local 3, the Joint Industry Board, our signatory employers, and the Electrical Industry attempt to navigate this changing landscape. Our members, staff, and employers’ health and safety are at the forefront of these adjustments, yet many things remain out of our control.
Everyone is encouraged to use common sense in their day-to-day activities both at work and at home. If you are feeling sick or unwell, you are encouraged to stay home. Please follow guidance from the CDC and both NYS and NYC officials regarding protocols around the coronavirus.
Please make every attempt to handle any Local Union No. 3 and Joint Board business over the phone or by email and to avoid the building, as access will be limited and by appointment only.
Regarding the virus’ impact on daily work and stoppages etc., many things are still in flux and changing by the hour like Paid Sick Leave, unemployment insurance, and workers compensation. Local Union No. 3 and the IBEW are continuing lobbying efforts on your behalf for the federal government to waive the 10% early withdrawal penalty on your 401(k) and other items. If a jobsite closes or you must quarantine, the number of wage replacement days which you are eligible to withdraw money from your funds has been increased from 5 to 30.
Thank you for your patience and check our website for any updates over the next several days.
Local Union No. 3:
- Building Access – restricted to employees, staff, and pre-scheduled appointments only
- Dues Dept. – make every effort to pay dues by mail
- 4th Floor offices – by appointment only; all offices and reps will be available by phone and email
- Division Meetings and Affiliated Club Meetings – if not pertaining to nominations or elections of officers, suspended for a two-month period pending further notice
- Affiliated Club events – many club events have been cancelled or postponed over the next two months; check with the individual club for confirmation
- Charter/Spectrum 23rd Street picket line – suspended until further notice
- Political Action – many campaigns have suspended in-person events and volunteer opportunities, but there are opportunities for mobile phone banking from home; Local 3 member-to-member phonebanks are still in operation on the 4th floor as of now
Local Union No. 3 – White Plains offices:
- Access and meetings by appointment only; members are encouraged to handle all Local Union No. 3 business over the phone
Potential Job Closings and Quarantines:
- Employers have agreed to increase the amount of Wage Replacement Days that a member is eligible to use if a job site is closed or if you miss time due to the illness or quarantine, from 5 days to 30 days
Joint Industry Board:
- Building Access at the Joint Board has been adjusted to reduce contact/interaction:
- Access will be by appointment only; if you need to meet with someone in person, there are phones set up in the Member Center with a list of phone extensions
- No access to the Joint Board building through JIB Lanes
- Medical & Optical Dept. – by appointment only; as a reminder, the JIB Medical Dept. does not treat for illness so please consult with your primary care doctor if you are unwell
- Employment Dept. – layoffs and registering for employment can be handled over the phone at 718-591-2000, ext. 1490, or by email at EmploymentSlips@jibei.com
- Apprentice Dept. –
- Apprentice Theory Classes are suspended until further notice
- Apprentice Hands-on Classes at the Electrical Industry Training Center in Long Island City are suspended until further notice
- SUNY Empire State Labor College classes have moved to online instruction
- Educational & Cultural Trust Fund –
- Most Educational & Cultural Trust Fund Classes are suspended, except for a small number of licensing/certification-specific classes with reduced numbers of participants; please call the E&C at 718-591-2000, ext. 1530 to confirm
- Pension Dept. – by appointment only
- Safety Dept. – members are encouraged to call and schedule an appointment for any photos/voice recognition/SST-related needs